Custom Search
InTheHoleGolf.com has a complete selections of golf bags. Great pricing and free shipping on cart bags, stand bags, & travel bags.

Friday, June 8, 2007

Idol?

For this entry, I'll probably focus mainly on juniors, and maybe applicable for seniors. What I realised, back in my hometown here, that juniors nowadays were lack of knowing or at least, getting to know their idol. As in my opinion, knowing your idol is one of the most important part in playing a better game especially for juniors. Back in '99, when I just started playing golf, I already knew who Tiger is and his father, Earl. hmmm..more than that. I know he won the Masters of '97, that's before I even touches the golf club. Of course, juniors nowadays, probably learn golf due to parents influence, I am too. But what I can say is - DARE TO BE DIFFERENT! You definitely will take your parents as your idol - at first and now, I DO! There are the idols that bring you to the game and inspire you about the game of golf. But in order to improve ourselves, we need to take our game into another level.


Juniors around me that I have known, do not know the history of golf. I'm not talking about those history about when and how the first golf club or golf balls were made, or how golfers wear back in the 1500's. NO! It's not about that. What I meant is somebody who create a legend on their own. Examples, Gene Sarazen's "SHOT HEARD AROUND THE WOLRD" (about Sarazen winning 1935 Masters, after he made a DOUBLE-EAGLE 2 on Augusta's Par 5 15th). Or who created the overlapping grip that you all are using now-> Harry Vardon. Maybe this is still too history, but how bout how many majors Jack Niklaus won? Jack Niklaus is a true legend that even legends salute him. Golf is something we enjoy to fill our time, but if you know a little bit more in golf, you make golf more enjoyable.


Back in my peak time of golf, me and my gang, we shared about nearly everything(technology of golf, history, latest events, analysing swing, and legends). Each and every one of us, have our own idol. Whether is Tiger Woods, Sergio Garcia, Ernie Els, David Duval, Annika Sorenstam, you name it. We know it all, even, they are not our idols. why? Why? WHY? Why do we need to know this people.


Simply, by knowing this people, makes you a better player. Makes you want to strive to be as good as them. Or probably getting near to what they achieved. Though they are PROs, but we can try achieving like them before they turn pro which is, in their AMATEUR years. Tiger, have three-year consecutive US Amateur Champion in his amateur belt. I know, he is real good. But can you be another prodigy just like him? That's the question you need to answer yourself.





Tiger Woods




Arnold Palmer






Jack Niklaus

They are all legend, legend of their own. I tried to be, though it's hard, as least to console myself I edit this picture, to show that I'm still trying to be a legend (probably a legendary golf blogger, WHY NOT?)


No comments: